4,648 Number of Community Education program participants on island.
The highest number ever!
1,732 Additional participants reached through school and community outreach.
299 Tours, labs, trainings or programs a year - almost 6 a week,
Monday - Sunday.
2,600 Number of service hours volunteers donated to the program.
- We added our first full time year round Americorps volunteer to help build programs.
- Hosted our first mini-conference for OCEANIA (our local chapter of National Marine Educators Association) and for the local chapter of the National Association of Interpretation.
- Created new activities and tour options.
- Completed a visitor impact study at Maile Point that showed changing patterns of use and reduced impacts during closure.
- Trained new interns and volunteers who then shared their knowledge and wisdom with eager young students and adults. We helped them understand how science works and the importance of HIMB to the community.
- Created great memories for thousands of visitors through our walking tours, hands-on labs and marine science overnights and -
- Changed the world for the better.
Take a look at the statistics below for a more complete breakdown.
A sincere mahalo nui loa to all who helped and participated. We are looking forward to our new year!