Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Newest Member to HIMB's Community Education Program




Aloha!

I'm Kyla Herrmann, the new Kupu intern under the AmeriCorps organization. I have just completed my first month working here at Moku o Lo'e and am humbled and excited to have this opportunity to be at this world class research and education facility for the next year. 

Born and raised on O’ahu I wandered off to Olympia, Washington for my bachelor’s degree. After graduating from The Evergreen State College with a B.S. in Field Ecology and Biology, I returned to Oahu to pursue marine education. I spent several years as a Marine Mammal Naturalist on boats, did a stint as a Marine Microplastic Educator for Sustainable Coastlines Hawai’i, and was recently the Lead Educator/Manager of the summer programs at the Honolulu Zoo. Now I have landed here at the Hawai’i Institute of Marine Biology with open eyes and helping hands to absorb everything possible and help wherever I can. 



In the past 30 days I’ve assisted with the annual NOAA Ocean Explorer Educators Workshop, where I helped teach a NOAA Multibeam Lesson Plan, staffed the SOEST Open House, collected night plankton with a Boy Scout Troop getting their Oceanography Merit Badge on an overnight, as well as a joining the HIMB CEP volunteers for a special private behind the scenes tour of the Waikiki Aquarium. In addition, I became boat and lifeguard certified! Given this start, I can’t wait to see what the next nine months brings!




I'm stoked to see how this internship unwinds! I'm truly grateful to the HIMB Community Education Program for giving me the chance to work with all of the HIMB volunteers, staff and faculty.  

Mahalo Nui,
Kyla

No comments:

Post a Comment