Thursday, July 12, 2018

New intern in the HIMB Community Education Program: Ginny

Aloha everyone!

Me in our office at HIMB
In Leverett, Massachusetts
with the Mt. Toby mudslide rock
formation behind me
My name is Ginny Svec and I'm a new intern here in the HIMB Community Education Program until the end of August. I'm from Westfield, Massachusetts near Springfield, and I'm going to be a junior at Smith College in Northampton, Massachusetts this upcoming fall. At Smith, I'm majoring in environmental geology, minoring in marine science and policy, and considering a concentration in climate change. I have always had a love of the ocean and beaches, and in the future, I would like to pursue a career in oceanography of some sort. Since I've mainly been focusing on the geological side of things for the past few years at school, I think that this internship will be a great opportunity for me to learn more about the biology of the marine world. I'm also excited to be orienting myself a bit better with the interesting geological and anthropological histories of Moku o Lo'e, O'ahu and the Hawaiian Islands as a whole.

 I'm so grateful that I have been given the opportunity to be a part of  this state-of-the-art research institute. Over the past few days of being here, I realize just how much I'm going to be learning from this experience, and I am ready and excited to do just that. I'm currently learning about the layout and history of the island, as well as the biota present in Hawai'i, and the research being performed at HIMB. Soon I will be giving tours to convey all of the interesting information that I've learned here to the public. I can't wait to start giving tours and learning as much as I can during my internship here on Moku o Lo'e!

Mahalo!

Ginny

No comments:

Post a Comment